Saturday, July 12, 2008

Malia's First Haircut

Those of you who get to see Malia on a regular basis know that the girl has gobs of hair. I try my best to keep it semi-restrained but she tends to have hair in her eyes most of the time. She has the front wispies that aren't really bangs but pretend to be. I have wanted to cut Malia's hair for quite some time but David was pretty insistent that she grew her hair out. I do want Mali's hair to grow out and can't wait until its long enough (and she'll sit still long enough) for me to braid it. In the mean time, it was driving me nuts! When David's mom came to visit, she kept telling David to cut her hair. I was grateful for the reinforcement. Not only was it in her eyes, she started to chew it- EWW! So when David and Nany took off this afternoon with Patrick to do "manly things" (aka shoot guns), I decided to get the job done. Mind you, I have never cut a girl's hair before. I used to cut the Hayes' boys hair with clippers. That was until I knicked their ears too many times and they wouldn't let me anymore. Oops! I thought about taking her in to an actual salon to get it cut, but couldn't justify spending the money for just a little trim of the bangs (or "fringe" for those beauty school graduates and drop-outs!). So I just grabbed a pair of scissors and went to town. Actually it took several attempts to get the job done, since Mali was being a wiggle worm.
Here is the before. Note the hair in her mouth.
Here is the after. Not the straightest but I tried. At least now you can see her big beautiful brown eyes better!
Note the girl isn't wearing any clothes. Her newest trick is stripping to her bare bottom and refusing to put clothes back on. I've been told that she is just enjoying the feel of being naked. That's all fine and dandy until I have to deal with the pee puddles!

Here is a video of Malia "playing" with Sammy. You can hear her actually say his name in it. It's not very exciting but Malia watched about 10 times in a row on the camera so I thought someone might enjoy it. Soon after I stopped recording she started crawling around on all fours after him, even going under the coffee table. It was pretty funny. She never gets close enough to actually touch him, she's too scared. I do have to watch her trying to throw objects, usually pillows, at Sammy, trying to get his attention. He pretty much just acts like she doesn't exist. In the video Mali also throws something at Nany, David's brother, also trying to get his attention. It's been great having Nany stay with us. He's been helping out by watching Malia for us and she loves all of the attention. We spent our Saturday morning weeding the garden and flower beds. Fun, fun, fun!

8 comments:

This Idaho Girl said...

Hooray for getting rid of the boys. What is it with guys and long hair? patrick keeps begging me to grow mine out. It's just not meant to be for the fine-haired. I told him I'd get a wig. Anyway, I like the shorter bangs. Way to be brave.

Elisabeth said...

thats good that u decided to cut her bangs its much better and no chewing on her hair anymore.

Dianne said...

The bangs are adorable. Her eyes are so beautiful! And I'm glad you're having fun with the bird. On a total side note: Malia's shirt is super cute in the video.

The Hanselmann Family said...

The FRINGE!! Super cute! I think it is funny that she is skiddish around the bird.... no fear of any other animal but birds? Weird. Let he be naked! I want to be naked most of the time too, this is the only time she can be. The only time that jiggle in her step will be cute and adorable!

hillary said...

Love the bangs! Very cute! And if they're not straight you can't tell.

Day Family Blog said...

The bangs look good. We missed having Malia on Friday, it really is a nice variation in our week that we look forward to. See ya in a few weeks.

Traci Elizabeth said...

Oh girl...I can't believe you let a bird loose around your house like that!!! You are way more relaxed than I am! One poop and that bird would "accidentally" disappear!!!

Malias hair looks cute. I cut Olivias hair all the time...Actually I butcher it all the time, but as long as its not in her face!!

Piepee said...

It's okay Amanda, you liked diaper to no diaper at that age too. Her "fringe" looks adorable! We miss you all.