Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Much Needed Update

So...things have been quite crazy for us these last few weeks. So much has happened and is going to happen that I don't even know where to start! Here is a rough update...

1. To begin with... probably the most exciting news... I am with child. 12 weeks today. David and I went last week and got an ultrasound and everything looks perfect. So much better results than my last trip to the OB! I'm due March 24th. I am very excited and will be even more excited when the "24 hours a day sickness" is over. I was sick with Malia until about 5 months. I am hoping this one will be kinder to me.

2. Probably the most life changing (although one could argue an addition to the family if definitely life changing!)... David is joining the Army. He gets sworn in this week and will be off to boot camp before the end of the month. After that he has job training that we hope will finish up before the baby is due to arrive. I am very excited for David. He has always wanted to serve in the military and we felt now was the right time. A challenging time, believe me, we know. However, we have prayed seriously about this and feel it is right. In many ways it will be great for our family. Of course, not without challenges. Malia and I can't join him during boot camp or job training. Which leads me to number three...

3. Malia and I are moving to Iowa until the baby is born. My parents have graciously invited Malia and I to stay with them while David is gone. We considered lots of options and felt this was the best for everyone. It is going to be so hard with out David. I will miss him terribly. My only small consolation is to be with my family while he is away. Sometimes a girl just needs her mom and sister. Especially when pregnant with a toddler and without a husband!

4. I eluded to this in my last post... our big scare with Miss Malia. Two weeks ago the doctor had prescribed me Zofran- an anti nausea medication (which by the way seemingly does nothing for me). I had just gotten it on Monday and Wednesday we were all at home. I was upstairs cleaning and David was downstairs cleaning. We each assumed Malia was with the other person. I had my bag sitting up on our chest freezer. Somehow Malia got to the Zofran in the bag and opened it. She came up to David with a fistful of pills and said, "Candy, Papa?". There were only 10 left! I had 7 of them... leaving 13 consumed by Malia. They were the quick dissolving type, so instantly in the blood stream. We rushed her to the ER and they got my little baby hooked up to all types of machines. They didn't have any records of someone this young taking so many, so really had no idea what to do. Since it was already in her bloodstream, they couldn't pump her stomach. They also couldn't give her ANYTHING, because they weren't sure how she would react. Bart, Patrick, and Koby came and gave her a blessing. All we could do is wait and watch her. She was so scared and just couldn't settle down. More than anything she was mad that they had me monitor attached to her feet! She started hallucinating, in Spanish of all things! Talking about monsters and worms. Around 12:30 (5 hours later) she completely settled down and you could tell the medicine had worked it's way out. They wanted to keep her over night, just in case. She woke up that morning, perfectly normal. The doctor assured us that she was fine and there was no damage done. I think I can safely say it was the scariest moments of my life. I definitely am not up for "Mom of the Year" for 2008! I felt horrible and am so grateful that she was okay. Thanks to everyone who helped out.

5. My grandpa George passed away. George was the father of my step-dad, Chris. He was a great man and I admired him in many ways. He was 88 and died in his sleep. Bart, Malia, Aly (my cousin), and I all drove back to Iowa last Wednesday to attend the funeral. 20 hour drives and being pregnant- not a good combination. The funeral went well and it was great to see family. It even worked out that we got to attend my cousin Ashley's (on my dad's side)wedding. We packed a lot into a few days and got back into town on Sunday.

So there you have it. The major events in the Mata home. Some scary, some happy, some sad. We got it all! These next few weeks will be crazy hectic while we hurry and pack up our home. A task I am not looking forward too! Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive during all of this. I am so grateful to family and friends who are so good to us.

18 comments:

Frisbies Forever said...

Oh my! Lots of hugs! I am really happy for you and am glad to know everything is going so well! I love you!

the Morrisons said...

I am glad Malia is okay! So scary... And, we will miss you so much but I would be off to my mom's too. Maybe we'll see you back here someday. Good luck with everything! Please call if you need help with anything. See ya!

This Idaho Girl said...

If you're mother of the year, can I be second? You should be proud, however, that her hallucinations wer in Spanish. At least she's bilingual. Hang in there.

Elise said...

Wow! A lot has been going on! Congratulations on the pregnancy and being 12 weeks! I know when I made it to that week I let out my breath in total relief. I'm glad to hear Malia is ok. That's so scary. Good luck to David with the Army. I would be high tailing it to my mom's too, it will be a little easier with family around the next several months!

Dianne said...

Am I going to see you before you leave? I haven't seen you since MAY!!! What's up with that? JK. Is there anything I can do to help?? Could you call me, cause...well you know my phone situation. Love ya and I'm so glad Malia's o.k.!!!

Day Family Blog said...

I meant to call you and say so sorry about your grandpa. So when are you moving to Iowa? We HAVE TO get together before than. I will plan on watching Malia Friday unless you give me a call, but besides that we have to have a going away party or something before you leave. Slowly all my friends are leaving Logan, poor me :)

Denae said...

Oh my Amanda, you are right you've go t it all. So I will break up my responses.

1- CONGRATS! I am so baby hungry I could die

2-What a great new adventure. I will tell you one thing. Its a great feeling to know you have prayed and made the right decision about something.

3-I am so excited for you, There is no better place for you to be while David is gone.

4-I think every mother has to experience something like that once. It is not fun, and I would for sure still give you the mother of the year award. being a good mother isn't about how perfect things are, its about how you react during the hard times that matters.

5-I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Having worked with many elderly patients I know death is sad for the ones that are left behind, and a great thing for those who get to go. Hugs to you.

With you leaving so soon I don't know when or if we will see each other again. If there is a Going away party I would love to be able to come send you with my love too!

Amanda said...

Congratulations on the new baby!! So exciting. Glad things are going well and you could hear that precious little heartbeat.

So exciting for David to be joining the military! I won't lie....I am glad that Ty has served his time and is now out, but I am so So SO grateful to those who continue to serve. It won't be with out trial, but also comes with many blessings. I would be off to my moms as well without a doubt. So glad that could work out for you. We will miss you guys!

So glad to hear that Mali is doing well. You are an awesome mother and this could have happened to anyone! So sorry that it had to be your family though. Remember that accidents happen and the Lord was there to bless in a time of need!
Keep in touch!

Traci Elizabeth said...

First of all.....CONGRATS!! yay for babies! I hope all is well.

Second, Good luck to your hubby. I have a bro in law in the army serving in Iraq. I have loads of respect for our soldiers.

When are you moving??? Please don't tell me before the end of October! I am coming up for Halloween and I hope you are still there... let me know.

I am glad Malia is better.. that would scare me to death.

thanks for catching up..it has been way too long!!

Walter Family said...

Amanda!!! How are you??? I recently got in contact with Denae and she told me she found you! I was so excited because I always wonder how you are and what you're up to! Congratulations on the little one on the way! And your little girl is just beautiful! My blog is http://walterfour.blogspot.com/ We have to keep in touch now!

Walter Family said...

I just realized you probably wouldn't recognize me by my married last name, this is Janai Murri, your old roomie! :)

Ras Family said...

glad everything is okay. lots going on in your world. my neighbor said that God doesn't give children memories until their 3, so they can't remember all of our "oopsies". everyone does them. glad all is well! -allesha

La Familia Mata said...

Ha! Ha! I just realized my lack of punctuation makes me "pregnant with a toddler"!

Cindy King said...

I'm so glad you lived here in Lewiston even if it's ending too soon! You were a great addition to the ward and we'll miss you tons! Good luck with your life changes. I have found that life is full of changes and being able to roll with them and find the best in everything will get you through. Always know that you have a "family" here in L4 that will always love and pray for you all! Take care!

Dansie Family said...

congrats, good luck, phew, my condolences. i am glad that malia is okay. scary scary. porter just learned how to open the child safe bottle of vitamins. i better keep more potent stuff out of reach.

Day Family Blog said...

So are you here or gone? I tried calling but no answer. I doubt you will keep your 435 number once in Iowa. So sad if I missed you. Hope your travels are safe and hope that one day you will end up back here in Logan (and I hope I am still here when you get back).

hillary said...

Wow!!! That's a lot of big stuff!

First of all, congrats on the baby! I hope everything goes well & that you start feeling better soon.

Secondly, the army! Wow! Are you nervous or just excited?! I've always thought Liz was so brave for being able to have a husband away from home for long periods. Will you have to do that? Does everyone? I know I'm totally ignorant! Good luck! I'm so glad you get to be with your mom & sister! That will help I'm sure!

Okay, and I can't believe the scare with Malia! I would have been freaking out! I'm SOOOO glad she was okay! How scary!

Keep us all posted! I'll keep you & David in my prayers!

Marlo said...

CONGRATS!!!! I am so excited for you. I am also pretty excited that you get to move to Iowa...even though you will be separated from David. Living there with Noelle when Jamieson was in Europe was hard, but was a very fun time in my life. I can't wait to chat military life with you. Get ready. When are you moving?