
So when we moved to Iowa, David commented on how many women mowed the lawn. I did not. I don't remember ever mowing a lawn. Maybe I did, but it seems to me that Chris or Bart always did it. I don't think riding my grandpa's riding lawn mower around the farm counts. Well, the first three years of our marriage we lived in apartments, so we never had to worry about lawn work. Now that we have a yard to maintain, David has always mowed the lawn. In both our families, it was the man's responsibility. Yet,
every time we pass a woman mowing a lawn, David feels it necessary to point it out. When Christina was mowing the other day, David had the audacity to say, "Now there's a good woman!".
NOTE: He's just joking. He LOVES to mow the lawn and knows how to push my buttons. I don't know if you know this about me, but I tend to be a bit competitive and felt like I needed to prove my abilities. So yesterday, I mowed our lawn! Granted, I had to call David to figure out how to start the dumb thing. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it! What a great work out. David declared it a good job and commented on my nice lines. I also worked in the flower beds. The neighbor's daughter came over and asked if we had bought the house. I told her we were just renting. She replied, "You're doing all this work and you don't even own it!". As if we should let the yard look nasty simply because we don't pay a mortgage. I think that's the problem with rented houses, "renter's mentality" as it is commonly referred to. I think that's why this house was such a mess when we started renting. Previous renter's felt no feeling of
responsibility because they were "just renting". I think that's messed up! Whether or not you own a place, you have a responsibility to maintain it. It's your HOME, even if it isn't your HOUSE! So there you have it. I refuse to have renter's mentality. The picture is of our apple tree and it's new blossoms. Beautiful, huh?
9 comments:
Fabuloso! Just to let you all know Amanda took this shot with one hand and in the rain! Kudos to you for mowing the lawn. I will not be doing that, lawn mowers scare me.
Good for you. I don't think that I have ever mowed a lawn before or even thought about it. I chuckle that David said "now there's a good woman" he almost deserves a slap for that one. Sorry again about having to make you get another sitter at the last moment, but thankfully you understand.
Here, here! I was just thinking the same thing this morning while helping a renter clean up their apt.
Good for you for treating your "rental" like a real HOME! And the apple tree is beautiful. Our lilacs are about to bloom and I'm so excited!
I totally treat my rental like my own...I even paint the walls =)... I have never, nor will I ever mow a lawn. I guess I am "a bad woman"..
I agree on renter mentality, I never had it. But you can surely spot the ones who do quickly. Actually I've always loved mowing lawns. Great work out and time to think. We always knew you were great
My first marriage I only moved the lawns, now I never mow. He doesn't either. The 3 oldest try too. Sir Talks A Lot, usually gets to it the fastest. I did however design a star that I am trying to finish in my front yard. It's 16 ft, I think. I want a flagpole up the center and flowers and white marble rock, I am having a hard time finding what I want. Oh well.
can you come rent my house?? I need someone like you! also- I was just thinking that I would mow my lawn tomorrow morning. I have to mow most months...that whole deployment thing!
I totally agree about the rental thing. When we rented I planted stuff and tried to make the yard look nice. It's called pride. As for the mowing competition, next week I'm doing a zigzag pattern in my lawn. Top that.
way to go, for the lawn and for not possessing renters mentality. i love the apple tree.
Post a Comment